View Single Post
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Then there is no need for this firmware to actually connect to any known GSM network in the world.
Yes, but then we can't really sell or promote is as a phone.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
But If you think that joerg_rw/OpenPhoenux/Goldelico are going to be responsible for users upgrading their firmware, then why did you mention that "it's better for user freedom to give him/her the ability to upgrade the firmware"? In this case, it's better to just source a modem with non-upgradable firmware or just blow some fuses so that it is not upgradable. Apart from increased legal protection, you would also get FSF endorsement!
RE potential. Even if using stuff like OsmocomBB with public network is illegal, there are still some legitimate uses. If someday the firmware will be reverse engineered, I'd prefer to have the option to flash it to play with my lab network (but I suppose it's strictly theoretical anyway, due to tivoisation...)

But that's not the point. The point was that blowing those fuses won't increase your privacy at all. It was requested in context of possible backdoors, which IMO doesn't make much sense.

When it comes to freedom, FSF has its right to define "free software friendly" hardware anyway they like. The discussion as I see it started from the privacy aspect and argumentation from RMS e-mail.

But I fear this discussion turned out to some kind of mess :P It's hard to tell what everyone is referring to ;x

Last edited by dos1; 2013-12-17 at 11:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post: