View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Don't hang on the past too much.
http://madebyevan.com/webgl-path-tracing/

And being a "real" Linux OS, noone forbids user community to bring QtQuick to Tizen system and extra rpm-repositories which support Qt-applications if for example Samsung+Huawei's official repositories only support HTML5-applications.
I'm not talking about performance. I'm talking about the html5, and how very ill-adapted it is for making GUI's.

A Tizen example:

HTML Code:
<ul data-role="swipelist">
    <li class="ui-li-1line-leftsub1 ui-li-dialogue">
        <div data-role="button" data-inline="true">Twitter</div>
        <div data-role="button" data-inline="true">Twitter</div>
        <div data-role="button" data-inline="true">Facebook</div>
        <div data-role="button" data-inline="true">Facebook</div>
        <div data-role="swipelist-item-cover">
            <div style="display: inline-block;" class="ui-li-text-sub-left">subtext</div>
            <div style="display: inline-block;" class="ui-li-text-main-right">1line-leftsub1</div>
        </div>
    </li>
</ul>
Srsly?.. This is UGLY. HTML is for text, not for GUI's. And the WHATWG/W3C decided in all their wisdom that XML with namespaces was... too appropriate for this? As a webdeveloper I honestly cannot begin to comprehend what in NULL's name they were thinking.

To put some extra salt on the wounds, javascript is a horrible, horrible language. OK for some basic UI stuff, but for bigger projects it really is a developer's nightmare compared to Java/C++/Qt/C#.

In fact, this utter "html5" and other webtech craziness is part of why I changed jobs very recently. The ecosystem and development tools are abysmal in quality. I just couldn't stand it anymore, and it only gets worse.

Even if it runs on a normal Linux kernel and you can add Qt yourself, if it is not a first class citizen the support will be lacking, leading to compatibility issues and worse.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: