View Single Post
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
The only thing I really have yet to understand is what land line phone number you are using to get those two private numbers for you and the wife working correctly at home.

Are you using the number from your place of work, a friend, or something else?

Or don't you want us to know?

Cheers!
The two "private numbers" at home are just Gizmo accounts paired with an analog telephone adapter.

The ATA is just a box that sits between my internet connection and my regular telephone and converts VoIP calls to analog so I can talk using a standard telephone.

I have a Linksys SPA 2102 analog telephone adapter configured with my Gizmo settings such that any call to either our GV/Gizmo accounts rings through to the phones I have plugged into the ATA.

Here's what happens when someone places a call to my Google Voice number:

Incoming call -> Google Voice -> Gizmo5 -> Linksys SPA 2102 -> standard cordless phone

Nothing shady about it, although it might be more fun if there was.

Regarding the iPhone:

The Fring app for iPhone supports SIP, so it's possible to have a GV/Gizmo call over data or wifi. Unfortunately, since the iPhone doesn't multitask, so you have to have another device connected to your GV account if you want to originate free calls. I haven't figured out a way around that yet. I tried enabling push with Fring, but notification takes too long and it's usually not possible to pick up in time.

What the iPhone really needs is an app that combines a Google Voice dialer with a SIP client. Since the original Google Voice app was rejected, I'm not optimistic. Yet.

I've seen mention of a setup that involves an Asterisk box and some kind of clever dial-plan call-back jujitsu for free outgoing calls, but I don't understand it enough to attempt it yet.

Last edited by hornartist; 2009-11-18 at 01:28.