View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Your own N950* and whole bunch of IOs/Android alu devices seems to "think" otherwise
You might have missed to notice that detail: N950 has all antennae in both ends of device which are plastic ("PC+ABS"), not alu. See <-- picture, which also shows the "AL" triangle on center section of N950 lid.

Generaly a device can build antenna into a metal body, but that needs careful design that exploits the case metal as part of the antenna, not simply ignoring it (see: iPhone "you're holding it wrong", which obviously exploits part of the metal frame as (part of) antenna). Asserting that a change from a plastic case to a metal case wouldn't have massive impact on the performance of antennae close to - or even covered by - that new metal, is inconclusive.
Seriously though, I'm in direct contact with some friendly people involved in Neo900 thing and I have promise of being able to borrow Neo900 "final", working board, as soon as they become available, to check for quirks (even though, considering that Neo900 is supposed to use N900 cases anyway, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues).
I wonder who those "friendly people involved in Neo900 thing" might be. I can't recall me giving such promise, and I haven't heard of Nikolaus promising anything like that. Which doesn't mean we would refuse to send a test model to you, but honestly you don't need that since you can test with N900 as well, they will most likely be 100% identical regarding RF design.
No plans to eliminate need for spacer at this moment, though.
Sure, would be hard to eliminate that anyway.

"but its related to lacking execution of helical antennae concept, rather than metal body" - err, please elaborate. Sounds intriguing, please share details! Sure I know of the "coils" built into those holes, though that's not really a helical antenna design and for sure never been meant to be one. But what's that thing about improper execution?

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-03-24 at 05:59.