View Single Post
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
Hello,

I'd like to announce modern computer flatboat which is a mobile pdf viewer written in Qt and using MuPDF's libfitz.
Some of flatboat's features are (for other features see the help page and the gitorious page):
  • a column mode
  • an in-document history
  • writing support for ink annotations and text annotations

The column mode, is designed for (multicolumn) PDFs with tiny font and few images. By joining horizontally overlapping text regions it tries to detect columns.

Everytime you "jump" (e.g. follow a link, go to the last/first page) within the document, the page you come frome is stored. This in-document history is accessible via I, to jump back to the most recent page simply press Backspace.

One of the activities easy to perform with a touchscreen is drawing. That’s why I implemented reading and writing support for ink annotations first. Since version 0.8 flatboat also supports Text annotations, i.e. those with an icon, which pop up, if you click on them. FreeText annotations (text visible without user interaction) will probably follow with one of the next releases.

You can install it on N900 via extras-devel (see the homepage while garage is in read only mode), whereas you will find the source code and builds for Harmattan, Android, Ubuntu, OS X and Windows on its homepage.

Since it's statically linked against libfitz (the library of mupdf) and some of mupdf's thirdparty libraries, the binary is bigger than it has to be. Maybe I'll try to convert some of the libraries to shared objects later on.

If you like to use it with dbus-switchboard to make it your standard pdf viewer:
  • add "flatboat" with "flatboat %realparams%" to Handlers
  • set the X-ref ".pdf" to "flatboat"
  • set the Default "application/pdf" to "hildon-dbus-switchboard.desktop"

PS: The name is a (stupid) anagram of "portable document format".

PPS: m.c. flatboat does not write a so called appearance stream with each annotation, some readers do need those (see the help page).

Last edited by frafI; 2013-01-02 at 16:20. Reason: 0.8.31 out

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post: