View Single Post
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
It's still my daily driver, used mainly as my personal agenda since I use taskwarrior for keeping track of my duties. I wrote some small python scripts in order to sync my family calendar (my wife uses a MS live calendar) with N900 calendar and to have alarms and events set straight from Taskwarrior. I have 4 emails accounts of which the three working ones are set up and working with no hiccups. All the drawbacks mentioned from Feathers McGraw are absolutely true. Browsers are too outdated, the best working one for me is uzbl which I launch from easy Debian when needed but you must be VERY patient waiting for website to download. Luckily, my most visited sites (like this one) are working OK with the standard webbrowser, and Opera has the best reflowing of the text of any other browser. I have no Facebook and don't do any youtube. N900 hardware is too underpowered to satisfactorily run modern javascript and I do not think Jupyter will be a satisfactory experience on it.
As a phone it is still perfectly working, the keyboard is fantastic for such a small piece of plastic and it is the main reason for which I'm still in love with it. I tested iOs and I have an Android phone which never saw a sim card. I tested SailfishOs on the XperiaX and I am currently looking around for alternatives since for my usecase the N900 and Maemo are far superior.
Don't buy it if you need a decent web experience. Buy it if you need to check a server SSH'ing into it for checking some logs and restart or reconfigure some services while you are on the road.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post: