View Single Post
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by Jeffrey04 View Post
Most of the time it would be around 15mA, but there are times it would shoot up to ~35mA, or even ~55mA, ~80mA, > 100mA.
That's almost as much as mine active. (Yes, it hasn't seen much use. )

On my main phone which I actively use the idle power consumption ranges between 3-14mA. I'm usually online with XMPP enabled in the default message client, but not much other additional things are running. Maybe an ssh connection to the server where I run screen+irssi.

Sometimes I listen to music or FM/internet radio when the phone is in LPS mode, which raises idle power consumption as seen by budaemon considerably (to 30mA+ IIRC). Though one can debate if listening to music can be considered as idle or not.

Pretty much all the IM's work thru XMPP transport, which is done on the server side, so there is no need to have additional clients running even if you are online on several networks (ICQ, Facebook, Twitter, GoogleTalk, MSN...). Dunno if whatsapp works through it, probably not and I don't care. (basically whatsapp devs just took XMPP, intentionally broke the compatibility and rebranded it.)

About powertop. I set it like this to monitor idle power consumption:
Code:
# (powertop -s 30 > /dev/shm/powertop.txt &)
Then close the terminal and put device into idle. After few minutes i wake up the phone, open terminal and
Code:
$ cat /dev/shm/powertop.txt
to read the results. Writing can be done to the mass storage too, I suppose, I just used the ramdisk as I don't know any better. I couldn't figure out much from the output on N9 though as it seems already quite well optimized. I made /usr/bin/smartsearch unexecutable, which probably saves some juice and few times i've spotted some runaway process (fennec mostly), which i've then been able to kill.

(-s 30 flag means sleep 30s before monitoring and the redirection ">" just writes the results into a file. Brackets "()" and "&" make the command run in the background so it won't get killed when I close the terminal.)

Also I'm now trying to group writes to mass storage to see if it has any effect (probably not much).

Last edited by ladoga; 2013-01-30 at 06:47.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post: