View Single Post
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
I gotta agree, I've finished implementing the ovi maps with full speech using espeak (including street names thanks to jhb, again thank you!) and I cannot understand much . The turn left turn right part is understandable, but I think it can't manage the street names very well

Offline navigation is already available due to the plugin. I personally haven't looked deep into it yet and I might not get around to it for a while, however there's heaps of talented programmers here now modding ovi, so who knows what will happen

I modified jhb's python server slightly to allow for full sentences from the javascript to be sent, hence enabling speech for street names too. I've uploaded the modified html file and the python file for people to test.

All thanks goes to jhb and CormacB for doing all the hard work

Edit: Should mention its only English for now, to change the language, search for "//show manuvours" in the html file to see the speech part and change the words accordingly.
Blaizzen, I am so much looking forward to give this a litte test try (I need to go to the train station asap). Thanks a lot for your work on this!

My feeling is that we could maybe do a mixture of the prerecorded files and having r2d2 giving us a little riddle with the street names here and there :-). Regarding language - right now I would leave it with english, but later on work with command_identifiers in the index.html, and let the speech system figure things out from translation files (maybe using gettext or something).

Again, thanks a lot for your work and even starting the thread - without it I wouldn't have bought an n900 two weeks ago - and you prove me right to have done so :-)

Joerg

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhb For This Useful Post: