View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
Seems like burning srt subtitles into movies using ffmpeg is possible: http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/H...%20the%20video

Though with v.1.0.1 trying "-vf subtitles=whatever.srt" spits out "No such filter: 'subtitles'" in bold red
Using that worked for me; maybe its the version of ffmpeg?

I'm using 7:201212231432-git-1 which seems to be after the 29/11/12 date the man page states for 'subtitles' support... I had followed the instructions here to get that version...

Edit: Hmmm I think I spoke too early; I first tried with a .sub file everything processed but at the end it sayed subtitle=0 so then tried with a .srt file which was detected but the resulting output.avi for some reason doesn't playback in VLC or GNOME Mplayer... Again in the video that used the .srt file the output said subtitle:0

Another thing I noticed was the dramatic down-sizing of the file; my input.avi was 732.4MB but the output.avi came to only a paltry 288.9MB... I have used it just like in the manpage:
Code:
ffmpeg -i input.avi -vf subtitles=/path/to/.srt/file output.avi
I think maybe an option or two in the command is missing

Edit 2: Just noticed when doing the above command this is what I got exactly:
Neither PlayResX nor PlayResY defined. Assuming 384x288

So it means the output.avi has to be defined? Will try later when I have some time on my hands

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-12-26 at 05:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: