Thread: GPS arrived
View Single Post
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Sounds like you're going great guns here!

Just wanted to point to a post from last July (!) when Koen Kooi ported GPSdrive to the Maemo:

www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/developers/1130?search_string=Koen;#1130

It links to screen captures at his blog:

dominion.kabel.utwente.nl/koen/blog/pyblosxom.cgi/Handhelds/gpsdrive-maemo.html

All the discussion about this must have taken place on Mike Cane's ersatz blog of that pre-Cambrian era. But I posted info about it in August here at itT:

www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/94/2/

Anyway, I bring it up now to ask about maps. Koen used the NASA satellite pictures available at the GPSdrive site. You're using the Google maps, right?

Are you just storing maps for where you're headed? Or do you store the whole U.S. or something like that?

And are you planning on grabbing them live using a Bluetooth phone? I was in a taxi the other day and the driver pulled out his cellphone and used it as a GPS device -- he said he pays $9.99 a month for this service. Maybe that can be combined with what you've got . . . . It would certainly be cheaper for those of us who haven't sprung for (or aren't able to spring for) a GPS receiver [1], at least for if it's only used when traveling.

-----

[1] I only now see that the current deal on that i-Blue GPS receiver is around $105. But I already spent my accessories money on a BT keyboard and IGB mmc card.