View Single Post
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
I like Slackware too but I think it is impossible to have a source-based distribution for phone devices yet.
Technically not. Practically yes. A way to do this would be to have a build server/service that would do the crosscompile for you.

And slapt-get is a yesterday (as apt-get, actually). If you have experience to live with YaST2 level of service it is VERY difficult to return back to outdated (although powerful) apt-get.
Maybe you've read my post completly or not but basically I had nothing but issues with Yast so don't ever want to see it again.

apt/dpkg/slapt hasn't broken on me yet thus far. Yast... installed a new system, ran yast once... could never run it again and kept getting weild errors.

Of course, HAM interface is a little better but buggy and not so powerful...
You are joking? Right? Right???

HAM is the one piece of software that should be COMPLETLY removed. It brings nothing to the table. Replace it with a normal apt frontend. Then we are talking.

And the whole point of my previous post was:

I hope that we will get a fully Free and Open software stack we can build/install/run in any way we want and any way we care to package etc it... That will be true progress. Everything else is just: "Ow we have a new shiny for you"

If I want it I should be able to run the device using a slackware like approach or a source mage like approach or any other distro I might care for. I shoud be able to get to a plain console and do what I want there. And so on.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post: