View Single Post
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I would appreciate that. I'm still looking for a replacement for my netbook (Eee 1000) that I like. I don't want to spend a fortune in Apple Tax and I don't need stupidly high specs. Gemini or GPD are one option but I'm not sure if they are too small.
I've since last month a Gemini 4G with triple boot (Android 7.1, Debian 9.4/LXQt, Sailfish 2.1.4.14).

Gemini isn't so large if compared with 5.5" smartphones when in my pocket.

Keyboard is great, like Psion 5/5MX one, so a lot better than Nokia N810/N900 and Sailfish TOH Keyboard. Even better than many keyboards of normal and large notebooks !

Android 7.1 is 100% operational on Gemini.

Sailfish OS 2.1.4.14 (from community) is 100% operational after some small configuration (use only 3G, lock screen landscape mode, install 'Bleeding edge sd-utils' to automout uSD), only lacks proprietary (Android, etc) support. If needed Android app, just boot Android 7.1.1, anyway.

Debian stretch 9.4 is ARM 64 bits, currently needs some configuration (automount uSD, change hostname, CLI Bluetooth device configuration, touchscreen as touchpad), but itsn't 100% operational as 3G/4G doesn't work (only WiFi and Bluetooth) and there are some softwares with too small fonts (Gnome one's ?), like Synaptic, IDLE, Geogebra, etc.
LXQt is configured with some keyboard shortcuts.
I'm finishing the configuration of Debian @ Gemini to be used as a small notebook using LibreOffice/Abiword/Gnumeric, TeX (TeXLive & TeXMaker), Thunderbird, Dropbox via rclone, Python, SciDavis, etc.

My Gemini has a 128GB uSD with 32GB FAT32 partition (visible by Android 7.1, Debian, Sailfish) and the rest with Ext4 (visible by Debian and Sailfish).

With Gemini 4G using Debian and Sailfish you can have a smartphone and a full Linux mini-notebook in your pocket. I'm indeed planning to only carry my Gemini in some situations (travelling light, etc).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2018-08-18 at 08:59.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: