View Single Post
A little background: I travel 12 states (USA) on business. I have a TREO 650 Sprint and Powerbook. Many times, like all of us who travel, you would like to surf the web, check a few of your fav sites out whie eating lunch, etc. BUT dont want to "bust out the Powerbook" to do so and of course, the browsing experience on the the 650 is not great, actually it is not great on any phone. Email on the 650 is fine. I have a video iPod for pics, music and movie clips, etc. My primary interest in the 770 is browsing the web easliy via WiFi or BT.

I noticed the 770 on the web a few months back and thought..hmmm this may be my solution. I, like many, ordered one when we heard it was "available in the USA"..but of course, it wasn't REALLY available. I cancelled my 770 order a few days ago.

Last night, I purchased a Palm T/X last night for the browsing experience only but I checked out the other features too, of course. To save post time, here are the specs for for the T/X. http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/specs.epl

The pictures and the movie sample looked good. I was impressed. Back to the browsing, the T/X connected to my home wireless network (802.11g) easliy after I put in my WEP password. The screen is 3.8 in diagnonally vs. 4.1 for the 770.

You can orient the screen to landscape or portrait, I used landscape (wide screen). They have some preset "mobile" websites which looked good and worked fine. I put in cnn.com and all the page info is there with very nice pics. There is no hortizonal scrolling , just vertica on all websites. You can drag the pages lke the 770 to scroll. Even though you are in the "optimized mode", the pages are NOT optimized as the "whole page".. like you see on the 770. the page info is formatted such that it is hard to follow or find what you are looking for, much like a phone browsing experience. I tried several sites with similar results. I was not impressed. I am returning the unit tomorrow for a refund.

Since the 770 is not being shipped now until Dec. My plans are to wait, see the 770 at CES 2006, maybe others like it (others we may not know about yet), see what Apple introduces at Mac Expo 2006 (the following week after CES) then decide the next step.

In the meantime, I will be eager to hear about everyone's experience with the 770... "when it ships"....