View Single Post
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by realjobe View Post
Is there ANY way to hook the Nokia N770 (OS any) tablet via Bluetooth DialUpNetwork to Windows 7?
The purpose is to have a normal internet connection to the N770 using BT (Wlan crashes > too many accesspoints & N-nets)
Does "ANY way" include a 56kbps dial-up connection through a telephone landline? You would need a dial-up account with an ISP, and a 56K modem, which might not be included in a new computer.

[EDIT, Sept.13: This should also work with an ISDN connection. If ISDN is available to consumers in your locality (as in Germany or parts of India, for example), you could connect at 128 kbps instead of less than 56.
FURTHER EDIT, Oct.14: If you use ISDN, you will have to go into the "Advanced" Connectivity Settings on the Nokia 770. Under the "Call speed" tab, the default "Modem type" is "Analogue". You will have to change that to "ISDN v.110" or "ISDN v.120", according to the type of ISDN modem you are using. You will probably also have to change the "Call type" and the "Maximum data speed".]

It works on Windows XP. I don't see why it wouldn't work on Windows 7, so long as you have the right drivers installed. The Local Services of your (Windows) BT Configuration must include Dial-up Networking. If that is not included in Windows 7 by default, you might have to use an installation disc.

The N770 will accept the Windows computer as your "Selected Phone" (in the N770's Control Panel). You can use the Connection Wizard and Connectivity Settings to configure a "Data call" connection to your ISP. When the Wizard asks for the mobile provider, answer "None". I think I chose GSM/UMTS for the mobile network type, but it probably makes no difference. Use the dial-up number, username and password provided by your ISP.

This does overcome the problem of N-type signals in the neighborhood, if you don't mind the connection speed.

Last edited by scaler; 2011-10-15 at 00:11. Reason: ISDN connection should also work.