View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Keep it up and my little boot-shell /sbin/preinit script won't be necessary for much

ALTHOUGH, the one advantage a properly syntaxed /sbin/preinit or bootmenu.sh script has is that you don't have to have a flashing-capable utility to get things running.

So, like you said, they do different things. Which is great, because your rescue-OS image provides a final non-reflash-requiring fallback position, for when RobbieThe1st's backupmenu and/or my /sbin/preinit boot-shell and/or pali's recovery console bootmenu item, etc, aren't enough.

Honestly, I wish we could someday reverse engineer the flashing process and the boot process completely (the latter, really, is mostly 'open', if not open source, aside from nolo), because then an entirely optionally enable-able, or at-boot-activateable, recovery shell, could be developed, made stable, and then added in as a feature of the CSSU, whereupon at least those devices would have the built-in fallback position on-device, and ideally most of those people wouldn't touch the actual code, thus avoiding wrongly-syntaxed-code problems.

Of course, either way, there will always come a situation where on-device data is f'cked and we need to break out the on-other-device flasher utilities, and then it's stuff like this to the rescue.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: