View Single Post
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Because talk.maemo.org is more user-centric than the mailing lists (which tend to be more developer-centric), and because talk.maemo.org is so regularly and thoroughly indexed by Google, posts in this forum will receive wider attention, which is important for community issues.
I don't use that mailing list, and I suspect you're right about moving it, because of the type of list it is.

However the one big problem I have with talk.maemo.org is that I haven't found any way to be notified of replies to messages I have posted. That makes responding to replies and therefore back-and-forth conversation nearly impossible. Some people seem to prefer forums anyway despite that. I don't understand why. But there are other redeeming features in forums like searchability, active topics etc.

My point is that on mailing lists, responding to replies to form a conversation is normal, and that's lost by moving to a forum like this one. The people who use the list might miss that, so maybe they should be asked

Last edited by jjx; 2010-01-14 at 18:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post: