View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
With the languishing situation for Linux flagship phones, it might be a situation where I decide to go back to a dumb phone which I can tether over Bluetooth to say a Cherry Trail AMD64 tablet with a hacked kernel running Mint or Debian. I rocked an old Linux Zaurus for years IR tethering to GPRS. Now you can get a cheap dumb-ish water resistant phone with a giant battery pod function, UHF walkie talkie mode when out of cell range, or even a built in POCSAG paging module. Unfortunately the military grade tough waterproof Chinese shoehorned-in Android smart phones seem to be a horrible binary blobbed nightmare possibly difficult to securely root and with no chance of ever upgrading or flashing a more acceptable Android fork like LineageOS.
I still use my N900 every day, but it is starting to feel old like my Zaurus did around '09-'10, but I feel that there is little new ground to be broken with pocket sized mobile devices but I simply dislike Android, even Cyanogen/LineageOS and an apple walled garden is a non-starter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: