View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by opt1mus View Post
Code:
ssh -YC user@192.x.x.x
C for compression, Y as this is a trusted client.
Then with the remote shell;
Code:
chromium > /dev/null 2>&1 &
xvkbd -window *Chrom* > /dev/null 2>&1 &
I just tried that with a sleep 5 in between, but it didn't give me keybord focus in Chromium. Neither did my idea with using wmctrl -a chromium (or -R for that matter).
I also found that some other applications (e.g. Stellarium or VBox) produce segfaults, when run via X forwarding from the N900.

Then I remembered, that I have Presence VNC installed on my N900, so I created a Xephyr desktop with 800x480 pixels on $DISPLAY :2 of my desktop computer, started openbox and lxpanel on it and attached an x11vnc instance to it.
To this I connected via Presence VNC and could run Chromium, Stellarium, a VBox VM and Libreoffice without actual problems.
The display refresh lag was considerable though, with the bottleneck being the N900's wifi. So I'd say it's ok for pretty static window contents (most websites with a sane layout), but not for dynamic content (panning the view in Stellarium).
If possible I'd still prefer X forwarding.

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Wouldn't that put additional stresses on the n900's notoriously fragile usb port?
That!
Also connecting both devices via USB would mean, you'd have a cable dangling from your N900 which I'd consider a limitation in mobility, either because you have to hold another device in your hands or because you're literally tied to whatever bag you store the other device in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: