View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As for the old canard that people are their true selves while drunk, it is not always an exaggeration of the self they present to others. It's anecdotal, but one example is my best friend, who is the nicest guy you'd ever meet when sober, but the meaniest, nastiest drunk I've ever encountered. What you see when he's drunk is not his altered or revealed true self, but rather the pain he's hidden away. So, please, let's dispense with overly-simple analyses of personality.
Therefore, what we see here is the hidden pain of intellectuals?

The pain your friend has is part of himself (unsolved emotional wounds) which isn't dealt with. How do you know he's a healthy person? It surely doesn't sound healthy to me that he is carrying a lot of pain while only able to express this when drunk. It surely isn't normal to behave in such manner after drinking alcohol. Maybe he isn't a good example, an exception to the norm.

I don't see the relation between a forum and a drunk person. Are you drunk when you're on this forum? I don't know about your definition of drunk, but mine involves hardly or not being able to type on a keyboard. Perhaps a better analogy is having used a few glasses alcohol. However it appears to me the point is that this is one's leisure time playground where its justified to be mean to a person who asks for help no matter what their question is? Theres a saying: "The only bad question is the one not asked".

Anyway, you're struggling awfully hard to defend the boorish behavior of questioners while chastising the boorish behavior of answerers. How about a little intellectual honesty instead.
Because I can empathise with both groups because I've been in both situations and am in one of these situations almost daily, and given some answerers appear to have this elitist attitude that they feel its right to belittle someone who is asking for help, I find that pretty low and immature. It doesn't reflect the proclaimed wisdom they claim to have; which was my point in my previous post. Just like a parent should show the right example to his/her kids regulars are able to set the right example to newbies. Simple as kissing, I'd say.