View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Alright, yeah, I'm pushing the argument for open source a little hard here. But still:

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This is exactly the kind of arrogance that is the reason Open Source will never make a hole in the world.
Ok, I don't get this. Open Source is not a company. It isn't a project. It isn't trying to get anywhere. It's just a way for folks to share code. You can choose to be open with a competitive project, or a collaborative project, or just some code you've noodled together on your own; there's no requirement that Open = Good or Open = Solves My Problem.

There are certain standards my superiors expect from my work. I have every right to expect similar standards from from other people's work, Open Source or not.
Well certainly, you can and should have expectations for a piece of code! My only question is, why would the creator of an Open Source program listen? Sure, if you're paying him for a product, you want value for your money. But that's a different story -- that has nothing to do with whether the code is open or closed...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: