View Single Post
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm not a developer, but I wondered if you could explain why the move to gitorious.org? It seems odd to have something like that outside of maemo.org.
I'm a developer and I can say that many people have their own views about version control systems (VCS) but since GIT has invaded free software community, many teams have switched to use it instead of Subversion or CVS. Gitorious is one of nice abstractions on top of GIT that allows you to visualize how development is done across multiple teams and people affecting the same code. It makes quite easy to clone the code, do your own modifications and propose those later for merge to original developers. A similar tools on top of GIT are Github and a regular e-mail interface (git am, git format-patch, for example). GIT itself is also better at interoperating with other VCS for both migrating from and "pushing" code changes to them.

So Gitorious is something that is way better than Garage from a development process perspective.

Of course, everyone is free to choose what they are using as a hosting platform for their project. From Nokia it looks like a good consolidation trend -- for example, Qt already uses Gitorious to support their open source development process and communicate within Qt community.

Last edited by abbra; 2009-10-06 at 20:41.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post: