View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
This might be targeted at the "i-folks"...
I don't see this as the case. This is for a totally different crowd, a bit more savvy.

So I have my doubts about this product even if it might become something interesting - and even if they release the source of SoluOS (if they do they will certainly get a thumbs up from me though). How reliable will a paid for cloud-service be in the long run when it is not commercially successful?
Making money out in the open (meaning via opensource) is hard. Having everything out in the open means that you've embraced the community but I'll be honest; that really doesn't mean too much of anything to the bottom line a lot of the time. May create great participation, add to the feeling of community, might even extend the life of the product.

But this is a community of folks that don't really get along about much anything. So to open something, you end up creating a situation where you hope adoption rates include the early adopters and contributors to the casual users that actually have disposable income and carry your product into something that lasts longer than your initial marketing campaign.

But that's my take. A lot of wondrous things happen in the FOSS side of things; but a lot of nasty **** happens too.

We have seen Google closing down perfectly fine services because there was not enough interest, not because it was bad.
I'm the weird guy that actually liked Google Wave (I know Apache has it now) and some others that have gotten killed off... oh well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: