View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Let me extend on this. As an OSS developer I actually *want* other people to use and extend that code in accordance with the license. And since Maemo is all Linuxy, there is actually no reason NOT to do that.
Indeed. One of the things I always use when publicly talking about Maemo is an answer to "why do you give away all this work for free?". The answer is that I'm extremely selfish.

I want a cool device, which does what I want. The Maemo devices are the closest to that which exists right not, so I try to make them better for me.

Now, how can I do that? I can raise bugs, I can write software, I can help developers and foster a community. All these things produce more developers, more users, more applications, a larger community and a higher quality product. It even becomes a self-sustaining cycle.

All of this is of direct benefit to me, personally. The Maemo community isn't giving Nokia anything for free, we're working collaboratively with each other - and Nokia - to benefit everyone. Pure capitalism. Pure selfishness. It just looks a bit hippy at first glance :-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: