View Single Post
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
b-man - You can remove step 4 entirely.. Twice now I have left the default gdm init.d script and it runs fine - we made changes in there to try and fix the X touchscreen; which we ended up fixing in the conf file instead.. so no changes need to be made to /etc/init.d/gdm...

Also.. check your installation... /etc/gdm/gdm.conf exists; but is mostly empty and referrs to /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf. That is where you should make the server-Standard changes to get X to work and Autologin setup correctly.
Ok, i'll remove step 4

Also, the reason whi gdm.conf is mostly empty is because you are suppose to add your own changes and defults.conf reads that file that you've added to and applys changes to it's self when you boot up debian.
The reason that it asks you to refer to defults.config is so, if you are making changes manualy, you can have a idia for how you want it to de set up. Also, if you read closly in the defults.config file it says that this file shuld not be edited manualy and that it is best to apply changes in the gdm.config file so that it can properly and safely apply changes to the configuration of the gdm daemon. In simpler terms, gdm.conf is like a "remote" for defults.conf so you can safely apply independent changes to how gdm is set up.
Basicly, If yo decid to manualy apply changes to defults.conf, you have a grait risk of messing things up.
Kinda like the equivalent of trying to manualy edit your sudoers file.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)