View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
That's exactly the point Tex, and well put...

The perfect example is a question "How do I boot from my SD card?"

There are about (at least) 3 complete How-to's; all different approaches and yet all functional ways to do this. So when I come across this question I have 3 choices:
1) Explain, all over again, all the steps involved in booting. (Sorry.. I don't have the time - or the patience)
2) Do the search the asker should have done first, find the post, copy the link, and give it to him (thus; throwing him the fish; I can only do this so many times before I get bored - and eventually annoyed.)
3) Tell the asker the answer is out there.. he just need to search for it. (easy for me; and provides him direction).

Thus.. many people choose option 3.. we keep our sanity - user at least knows his answer is lurking around here somewhere.. he/she just need find it.

Tablet Scene is built around options 1 or 2.. that's just not my scene . And I know I'm not the only one. I also know this is unfair for new guys - but at the same time... I (we) can't be fixing everyone else's problem, and our own, and still have anything productive for US get done.

And hell.. last I checked - the glass was damn near evaporated .
Theres one important factor you're not including: tone.

If you deal with customers it is very important to keep a nice tone. This makes a person feel comfortable. You can still tell the person he/she is wrong, and they're more willing to accept this if you assert it in the right way.

Instead of telling someone "you're wrong, idiot" you can say "perhaps if you look at it this and this way you notice". Or, "yes, we might have made a mistake there, but you should have done it right in the first place"; then working towards solving the problem. Another example: "UTFS!" or "Your question has been asked and answered already. Please, use the search".

The sarcasm smiley doesn't help either. The first and last line of a text are best remembered, and if the last part is a sarcasm smiley I guarantee you it doesn't arrive nice. Its often not used in combination with sarcasm, and often used to belittle the person directed at. Where is the respect? Is it that much work just to remember the other persons also have feelings? If you're not able to do that perhaps its better to not reply at all...

So in other words as the internet progressed, users regressed. Nice.
Google

Seriously, I know people who'd fill in internettablettalk.com in Google search, and then click on the first hit. I can explain once or twice why they're being inefficient, but in the end it doesn't matter that much. Except for lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Besides that, if I search for something and Wikipedia has an entry and this entry is good enough why would I search further?

Here's a lecture by Fravia about searching and finding http://www.archive.org/details/Fravi...without_google his website is http://searchlores.org he's been into this subject for many years (10+)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: