View Single Post
Llelectronics, what is the preferred method at the moment, "harbour-webcat --set-default" or Mimer? The former throws an error on my Jolla C now (although the command still exists), but if Mimer is the recommended way, it's all good.
Mimer since its newest version calls actually harbour-webcat --set-default when it detects harbour-webcat being chosen.

So harbour-webcat --set-default should work just fine in setting the correct default browser.
The terminal output however shows Setting as default first and then comes the usual warnings that you get apparently when loading qml stuff from c++ in SailfishOS nowadays.

And then it exits.

I tested on Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet and my Xperia X aswell as the Moto X2 port and it is working fine there.
I even tested it on my Gemini PDA right now and it is working there fine from Mimer.

Can you comment on the behavior when the browser is already running and the user clicks on a link in another application? Breiti_oi is right that it happens with the Sailfish browser as well, so is there no workaround? It's a real annoyance since the OS doesn't allow to copy/paste links from everywhere (e.g., events feed, e-mails), so we can't always manually open a new tab and paste the URL. At least with Sailfish browser, we can close it, tap on the link, and Sailfish browser will open with the previous tabs and the new tab. In Webcat, it will be either the new tab or the previous session, not both.
That sounds like a broken dbus service.
The way how it works is that the default browser is set to a dbus service that either calls the openUrl function of the already running browser or when the browser is not running execute a command to start it.
This should work just fine when harbour-webcat --set-default does its magic of setting the default browser (actually copying over the dbus service file and using it as default).
I found maybe a bug in mimer which might set the webbrowser after harbour-webcat --set-default is running which might lead to an issue.
So maybe you need to manually run harbour-webcat --set-default after setting it as default in mimer.
I will take a look at that when I have more time dealing with it.

Can Qtwebkit 5.212 and 5.6.2 be easily swapped using your OpenRepos package now, or is it still manual to revert to the vanilla version before a Sailfish upgrade?
You can swap it.
Last time upgrading worked fine. But I cannot guarantee it.

The issue I described with the toolbar was in portrait orientation, I'll send a screenshot next time it happens. I'm not sure how to reproduce it, it seems a bit random at the moment, still need to identify the causal factor.
Maybe it was a split second the sensors told it to be in landscape and it started loading landscape UI and then switched to portrait which took a second as it was loading all the components it needs in the background

Not sure I understand the conflict with the compositor swipe, but in that case a triple tap as suggested by Karlos devel above would work too. A fast way to close tabs with one move and without changing the view would be a noticeable improvement in terms of user experience.
I had that and removed it and no one cared :P
Tripple click is confusing as hell from a user perspective.
I am currently out of ideas when it comes to how this can be implemented in any sane way currently without feeling awkward.

Honestly I don't see an issue with the two clicks that we have right now.

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2018-07-11 at 12:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post: