View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
A few days ago, I contacted the developer of the N900 injection driver, to ask him about the possibility of him developing an injection driver for the N9(50).

My questions and his reply (quoted in part - I asked some other stuff, but it wasn't as relevant), posted with his permission:
> Is there a possibility that, if enough donation money could be raised
> by donations from the users of Nokia N9 and Nokia N950 devices, you could create
> an injection-capable driver for the N9/N950 as well?

Yes, there is a small possibility. Nevertheless I can't say yet if and when I
have time for doing this, because I am currently working at some other big projects.

> How much do you think this would cost?

First, I would need a development device, which I can access directly (remote is
not enough in this case as I also need to change the environment around the
phone for initial testing and have to reboot it multiple times). I haven't had
any special information about the firmware for wl1251 and used try/error to find
a way for packet injection. (The firmware doesn't have a specific mode for
injection, only for monitoring which doesn't allow injection).
I don't know which chip is used in N9(50), but I think (hope) it is an wl1271.
If it is so, then it may be possible to achieve injection in a similar way, but
on the other side they also could have rewritten the firmware completely.
If it works in a similar way, then developing the patches shouldn't be that
hard, but getting the patches in the official kernel or distributing them
somehow else is another topic.
Summing up, if you can provide me a development device (which I can keep for
myself after doing successful work) and the firmware works in a similar way,
then I don't require some extra payment. I can produce patches against any
(single) kernel you like, but I don't want to be in charge for further
distribution or porting to newer kernel versions.

Most likely I will not have time for the driver before end of January next year,
but that also depends on how much work I have to do for university.
So, my take-away from this conversation is that, assuming the wifi firmware is similar, the community just needs to provide him with a development device that he can keep, and once he has the time, he'll see what he can do about getting injection working.

Someone else will have to do the busywork afterwards of figuring out how to distribute the injection driver in a way most convenient to end users, and of porting the injection patches to newer/other kernel versions, but that should be fairly easy to do (after all that's how the situation developed on the N900 - after a few versions, the injection driver support was integrated into the power-kernel, and then after a while longer, the injection driver itself was packaged into the repositories).

I imagine that amongst all of the N9/N950 users who'd like to see their devices have injection driver capacity, there's enough motivation to get him a device to develop on. Now, personally, I have yet to acquire either an N9 or an N950 for myself, so the extent of my contribution to this is just getting this conversation started, since it seems no one else has thought to do so.

I'll be linking him to this thread, so if he wants to comment/clarify/correct, he can do so.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: