View Single Post
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I like @wx9's define for niche, and I agree that the term FOSS in here may not be accurate and might not even be OP's thoughts. (Thank you for the elaboration, @nonsuch)

In my personal opinion, it's the device/service that does not follow the trend and mainstream, or follow what mega company / organisation / or even gov, want you to be.

In my guess, the intention of OP could be:

Hardware wise:
- Has certain degree of freedom of components control / driver (Purism, PinePhone)
- Has certain characters that against the trend of mainstream modern phones (Fxtec Pro1)
- Has freedom to choose which OS to run, and not locked to a certain OS

Software wise:
- Has true multitasking like desktop, unlike Android and iOS
- Has a certain level of openness, user can easily tweak and customise and play/kill the OS without breaking many rules
- Has a slightly better transparency of what the OS does or if it collects info of where you are what you searched or even what you say
- Not having millions of services and free games that occupy your time and make mind ******ed.......

Unfortunately nothing is perfect in this world, even our beloved N900 / N950 is not completely FOSS. But the most important is there are people trying and there are users to support the effort swim against the stream.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post: