View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
EDIT: current status at http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature

DISCLAIMER: I'm doing this on my own and my free time without any link to my job at Nokia.

I love chess, even if I'm less than an average player (around 1500 with enough concentration). I love Maemo and its devices. They would fit so well, yet there is no convincing implementation of a chess game for Maemo.

Sadly I'm not a developer myself, but I can help developers getting things done with ideas, plans, test, feedback, promotion...

The concept, more or less:

- The main use case is playing online against other players at freechess.org
- Now imagine that you can also chat with the other player.
- Playing against the computer is a given (chat is optional)
- Learning is important and it would be great to review games and also process offline the lessons given at certain times in freechess.org
- A variant would be to play against othe player with a compatible device via local network or bluetooth.
- I guess if we got at this point then implement variants such as suicide chess, random house, etc is peanuts.

Basing this on Qt 4.6 would be useful to assure the Fremantle - Harmattan path, be fully compliant with whatever the Ovi store brings and have ports for Symbian, Windows Mobile and desktop OSs (Linux, Windows, Mac).

Maybe there is already a good starting point?

Last edited by qgil; 2009-11-03 at 04:00.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: