View Single Post
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
c) I want:
  • ARM, not Atom ... 1GHz is good.
  • Meego/Maemo, not Windows 7 (if they did Atom), not Symbian.
  • 1-2GB RAM
  • at least 4GB storage ... though, 32GB, like the N900, would be sweet
  • 3G option (and, having it be like the ICD Gemini, that can do SMS/MMS and Voice, would be cool)
  • 10" 1024x600 or 1366x768 would be fine ... but 1280x720 would be ideal, to me.
  • PixelQi display would be PERFECT.
  • Must have both USB Host/OTG ports for keyboard/mouse/storage/etc ... AND USB client for charging/syncing/etc.
  • DVI-I out would be preferred, but HDMI out would be ok.
  • Portrait and Landscape mode virtual keyboard ... with Swype support
  • Generic open ePUB reader would be great.... and so would a "Kindle for MeeGo" app.
  • Amazon MP3 store support.

I could probably come up with more items later... but that's a good start.
I'm mostly with you on that list, but the screens...

I'm running 1024x600 on a 9" netbook and staring at big square pixels wishing they were more and smaller. 1024x600 on 10" on my buddy's netbook is even worse. The one good argument against 9" netbooks (and smaller ones, if there were any that aren't just smaller screens in a 9" chassis) is the keyboard -- since onscreen keyboards can have less commonly used characters on other pages, that no longer applies, and we can/should see smaller as well as higher resolution screens.

1366x768 in 9 inches -- that's starting to be a screen (bonus points for fitting 720p content at native resolution, with subtitles below!), but I'd really rather 1280x720 (or better yet, 1280x800) in an 8" screen. Especially if it's PixelQi.

(Yes, I do understand that yield goes down/defects go up both with pixel density and with square inches of glass, so I'm not denying there's some technical challenge here. But what I'm asking is not at all unreasonable...)

Agree on the 3G option -- I probably would skip it, since I can tether to N900, but that means more market success and also leaves room and connections inside for some classic EeePC hacks -- at the very least we can add a 64GB Rally2 or so...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: