View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
The software is not ready for end users -- but we could REALLY use more developers! So if you're interested, but not sure how you could help out, please post here
Hi Wizzup_

For sometime I've been working of my own mobile OS, initially with Debian on the N900 but more recently I've been reworking these scripts (not yet public) to run with Devuan and to separate out device specific config to make them multi-device, initially with support the N900 and Droid 4, and support for N950 and N9 coming shortly after. Unfortunately in the last few months I've been too busy with work and haven't had enough time to complete them. My general idea was to make them as generic as possible in order to produce basic image builds for a variety of devices by just specifying a defconfig and dts already present in mainline Linux. The idea behind this was that by having basic images for a variety of devices, even if untested, it might encourage new developers to try them and start contributing further hardware adaptations (bootloader config and mainline Linux). I've been tracking devices with mainline support here and keeping it up to date, although I still need to check if anything interesting has gone in since the merge window opened for Linux 4.16.

I've known about Maemo Leste for while now and I've been meaning to contact you. I don't know if my scripts would be useful to you. I haven't yet looked into how your builds are produced but it shouldn't require much effort to adapt my scripts to produce Maemo Leste builds should you be interested.

By any means, you can count on me to help out with Maemo Leste. I certainly would like to contribute to it. I have my own ideas about how a free mobile operating system should be produced and Maemo Leste is the first effort I've seen that aligns with most of them. Given my limited free time, it makes sense to join forces rather than continue with my one man effort. I could probably help with producing images for N950 and N9 which have seen significant progress recently in mainline (although I don't yet have an N9 for testing).

I'll try to reach out to you on Freenode sometime this week to discuss how I might be able to contribute. Otherwise, feel free to respond in this thread or by PM.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-02-05 at 21:27.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: