View Single Post
Originally Posted by jellotherat View Post
The SD standard only allows for cards up to 2GB due to the use of 32-bit byte addressing. SDHC expands the capacity to a theoretical maximum of 2TB* through the use of sector addressing instead of byte addressing. Before SDHC was introduced, some manufacturers increased the capacity of their cards to 4GB by using a control bit, normally used for parity information, as an additional address bit (essentially extending it to a 33-bit address). Since these cards effectively removed the parity control bit, they are less reliable than standard cards, are not compatible with many devices, and technically don't even meet the SD technical specs set out by the SD Card Association. Many companies still sell 4GB non-SDHC cards, but I would avoid them at all costs.

* (When can I expect these to come out?...I'm practically drooling at just the thought of 4TB of storage in an N800!) (Then again...since a single memory card would probably cost 10x as much as the N800, it might not be very practical.)

I have the main parts now and as soon as I understand how to install the SDHC support and test them on the 4 and 8G SDHC card and when I am sure they will not cause and problems I will make them available.
I know the sandard cards work perfectly so far.
Also beware this adapter is not for everybody. They are mostly to prevent people from hacking the N770. We can add the card to the adapter if requested but it is a modification Kit for the MicroSD card. Soon we will also have a version that anyone can easly add the MicroSD card to the adapter.
Anyone who wants to take the chance can purchase the Kit and add it themself next week. This requires a little skill in soldering but it is not a big deal.

Thanks