Thread: [SailfishOS] WhoGo Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
A funny observation. As mentioned earlier, I had some surprising routing results. So I tried it again, to route me to Edinburgh. It's not like there are dozens of them to choose from. But, surprise surprise, I got routed somewhere completely off:

Name:  Screenshot_20180424_001.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  23.4 KB

Once I zoomed in, it turned out I got routed to a Duke of Edinburgh pub in a village on the other side of the country.

To confirm, I tried Search and indeed, I got a list of results with said pub right at the top, so it looks like in ambiguous search results,
a) the list is not ordered in any meaningful way (e.g. by relevance)
b) the app just picks the first item from the list as the destination.

I found that the solution was to search for ", , Edinburgh", to follow the "<house number>, <street>, <town>" format with the first two entries empty. Now I see why commercial satnavs want you to enter the town, street and house number as separate entries

I also had a few OOM issues when I was trying to route to a location half of Europe away. Some of them so serious that any application I tried starting afterwards was killed instantly. The only remedy was a reboot. Come to think of it, that sounds more like the server problem: WhoGo was killed but the server still kept the memory allocated, not leaving enough for anyone else.

The last question, how can I navigate to given geo coordinates? I tried for example "geo:55.149,-3.189" but received "no search results".

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: