View Single Post
Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by cjard View Post
this is a really good opportunity to fix what has been broken with nokia T9 style texting on other phones for years.. my suggestions here will bring the best aspects from symbian T9 and sony ericsson texting (sony's system is better than symbian in many ways)
This feedback contains reference to <NEXT> and <PREV> as the key that moves to the next guess and the previous guess respectively

here's the feedback:

Landascape spelling should be "Landscape"

If I enter a sequence of periods ........ then delete them all and enter just one period again . then the <NEXT> key doesnt change the guess.. It's stuck as a period?
Yes, i know that there are some bugs about symbols: the problem is that manage cursor is not easy when you insert a symbol. This is also the reason why button "1" is managed in a special way and this is also the reason that not allow to insert text like ":-)"

The dictionaries seem to contain some junk - i try to write the english word BE and i get CF CE CD - none of these are english words. If you'd like me to prune the dictionary files for you, just pass them along

It also doesnt seem to suggest in alphabetical order (i think i remember reading that it did) words that havent been used yet?
They are not junk but abbreviation of other words. But as i said in previous post i will change the memorization starting order

Program should suggest words with accented characters with lower priority than non accented.. e.g. i'm using english lite dict and I want to write "he", i press 43 and I get IE ID HÉ HF.. eventually HE comes around, but I wonder why the word order is that the accented char is first. Perhaps we should grab some long texts in english (like War and Peace or the bible) and break them into words, counting each word, and provide fastsms dictionary files with words already arranged in the order of most popular to least popular?
eheh,nice idea but i think that the dictionary can be very huge also for a pc. I hope that changing starting insertion order can help also about this

the word priority might frustrate the user:
if I write HE, the next time, it will write HE. If I write HE ten times, then write IF once, the next time it will suggest IF first.. i.e. it seems to work in a "most recently used" mode, not a "most often used" mode
Most often used mode is better - if you have MRU mode, users will get confused because the suggestions will always be jumping around.. Suppose they write HE ten times to every one time of IF, the user gets a "memory" in his fingers that HE is 43, and IF is 43<NEXT> but if youre always switching around the word order based on MRU, this logic doesnt hold and it will slow down the texting and frustrate the user
Also here,you are right. If im able to save memory i will add a count for the words.

I will not quote all your post or we have a really huge post

However im okay with you on (quite) all you wrote. When the application will be stable, with good dictionaries and without big bugs, i will implement a lot of your suggestions!

Thank you again!