View Single Post
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Q: "When is the first update coming? And is the version going to be.. 1.2? My N9 says that it already has 1.2 version."

A: "I cannot disclose any dates. First update is labeled PR1.1, second PR1.2 and so forth. Currently you have PR1.0 (a.k.a. sales release)."

Q: "Any one conform the below updates will come on meego

1) Video Calling Support
2) There should be some delay in the notification before opening the page like how it is in video gallery.
3) forward and reward option while playing video.
4) touch sense on Chat Window should improve .
5) Email sync every 5 minutes.
6) Bookmark should be folder ed or integrated with Browser
7) Java support
8) Adobe Flash support
9) More HD GAMES
10) Video call integration on Skype.
11) Back key and Copy paste
14) 4 th and 5 th Homescreen if possible"

A: "Video calling may or may not come, I'm not sure atm.
You can seek already in video playback.
You can set email to be even always up-to-date, and there is a 5 minute sync option as well afaik.
I already answered on the bookmarks and folders.
Java support is not going to come officially.
Flash support may come.
More games will definitely come, but none is HD, as the screen is WVGA.
Copy paste exists already, universal copy paste is a feature of pr1.2.
Back key? come on, it's a abomination on all platforms, windows included.
What would you put to 4th and 5th home screens?"

Q: "I think quite many corporations are using WPA + LEAP.
N9 doesnt seem to support that. Is LEAP on the roadmap
or should I write a feature request to somewhere?
Would Nokia Care be the right place?"

A: "I am not sure of LEAP. I did a quick search in bugzilla and we have no bugs for that. Only explanations are that 1.1 has flawless implementation or there is no support. I tend to lean on the latter. Write a request to nokia care."

Q: - we cant edit phone numbers that we have dialled. For ex, i dial 0227855656 but the good number was 0227845656. I can copy the first number i dialled and paste it (in a new call window) but i cant change just a number, i have to erase everything. I think this is very important
- it would be nice to deactivate ALL the email sync in one time, maybe at the same place of the skype/fb status
- during a conference call it would be nice to have the possibility to see who is participating and possibility to close a call with a specific person
- possibility in skype to see only connected people
- when i'm playing to GOF2 i can't swipe away: normal?"

A: "Good comments, I'll pass them forward. In skype you can probably select from menu and choose order by status. GOF2, like other fullscreen games usually deactivate swipe during the active mode. Press pause button and then you can swipe. It's intentional. We have API that allows apps to define specific regions on the sides where swipes won't work. Games usually disable it completely when in active mode to make sure no accidents happen."

Q: "Annoying Mail for Exchange-bug with the N9:

This annoying problem seems to be large-scale with the N9 devices. Here's how it works (read: Doesn't work)

I had my device running with MfE from thu 13.10 until this morning (17.10) when it dropped. I've been following this problem with our company's Mobile-guys, and the thing is that everything is working normally at the server, policies etc. I've removed and re-installed my Exchange-account four times to my N9, it works for the 1-2 first sync-times, and after that the connection drops to the Exchange-server. The mobile-guys said that my device does not even connect to the Server, normally the cycle is within 30 min, if it is working normally.

I am totally frustrated, and im hoping that Nokia will come up with a patch soon to fix this issue, as a seven hundred euros worth of equipment SHOULD NOT have these kind of bugs.

Other mail-accounts works normally (POP3, IMAP)."

A: "Sounds like a bad situation. Probably fixed in 1.1, as it has tons of exchange fixes, but just to make sure, perhaps you could create a bug to https://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs . I would like to say when 1.1 comes out, but cannot."

Q: "-SWYPE
-app store for symbian ported to Meego
-any major developers committed to providing apps in the near future to it
-what is the solution if your phone gets locked and if i dont have the code to unlock it"

A: "Swype is coming soon.
App store for symbian is never coming to meego.
Cannot comment about 3rd party developers.
If your phone is locked and you don't remember the lock code, you need to reflash it completely. Or try >10 times and it should wipe itself of all user data (may depend on user settings)"

Q: "Just curiosity: as you wrote earlier PR1.0 was frozen already springtime, has PR1.1, and maybe even PR1.2, been ready also for some time? Are you able to comment has PR1.1 been shipped to developers?
Any comments of new features coming with 1.1 or 1.2? Would like to hear some hype "

A: "1.1 is now out for developers, so the exact day when it's for general public will start to depend on operators and regions.
308 task or features were completed for 1.1.
Low power mode enhancemens, battery charging and silent profile are now shown in there. TOns of NFC and connectivity improvements. Performance enhancements, visual tuneups (e.g. toolbar has a shadow now). Splash screen has been taken to wider use. Color management is less nervous than before (neutral sRGB space color palette is now used always, except in clearly outdoor situatios, when oversaturation is applied to adjust how eye desaturates content in brightness). Lock screen music controls have been added. Swype keyboard has been added, and keyboard switching is very smooth with swipe gesture. 1.1 is all about being faster, stronger, bettter. It succeeded on all metrics, reliability, use time, performance, long period use. All metrics for 1.1 are simply outstanding.

1.2 is not frozen, so I won't comment on its content. However, it is officially feature enhancement release, so, it contains a lot of new things."

Q: "Konttori, do you have any idea if there's any updates/fixes coming to the video decoders? The N9 features list h.264 BP/MP as supported, but MP(Main Profile) stutters a bit when b-frames are used. It's pretty odd, because b-frames are quite "simple" when talking about decoding complexity, so there isn't a good reason for it. It looks like a bug to me."

A: "1.2 has decoder enhancements for h264."

Q: "How about adding also possibility to add persons as "application shortcuts" on applications window? The same way as bookmarks are shown."

A: "Contacts as shortcuts is possible, simple to be done, but not in the books at the moment. Please write to nokia care about that. And create a bug."

Q: "The thing I'm missing in the Drive app is Favourites. Another annoying thing/bug I've noticed is with the Facebook account. It seems to forget password for it and ask it very often. Sometimes several times during the day. This happens both on my N950 and N9. Has anyone else noticed this too?"

A: "Drive has recent places, you'll have to live with that, I'm afraid. Facebook issue is very annoying indeed. I think it was solved on last days of 1.1, but I could be mistaken. We did talk a lot about it then."

Q: "About skype there is no menu inside skype neither in the config to order by status. In fact i can see this option in the contact list. Its good but in this case i cant see anymore my bookmarked contacts that are usually on the top. The online friends could appear above the bookmarked contacts?
For me in this case bookmarked friends could appear more little, like 2 contacts per line!!

I have other few ideas/optimizations :
- in contact list i have my phone contacts and skype contacts. It would be nice that the only-skype contacts are with a skype icon.
- i have about 900 contacts and to go from A to Z its long. We could find maybe little arrows that bring us on top or at the bottom of the page. Or even better the little point that appear on the right when scrolling the contacts should be touchable to go faster where we want.

And then a question: is there a way to have automatic feed in the notifications?"

A: "I like the idea of "smaller" bookmarked contacts. Use the side fast scroll bar to navigate quickly to the top and bottom. Put your finger on the right side of the screen, near the edge and start moving it up/down. I don't understand what you mean by automatic feed in notifications?"

Q: "Will firmware images for N9 be available for downloading without NSU?
For example, I can find firmware images for N900 here: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php"

A: "yes, there will be also non-nsu images afaik."

Q: "I desperately needs to be able to share photos on Twitter! I can't believe this was left out of the shipped units. It is essential!

And also I would very much like to be able to receive push notifications on mentions and retweets in the Twitter app. And preferably also searches. Will we see that coming?"

A: "Hmm... I'll relay the wish. Might be in already, I've never used that. However, push notifications I'd love as well. They were supposed to come, but, yeah, I don't see them either."

Q: "Sorry my 'english', but I hope 4. homescreen to modify. I will few links/widgets to contactlist, example my wifes foto to phone/sms/e-mail, like N900 I have.
It was more fast and easy call to wife - you know"

A: "Sorry, widgets based home screen is not coming. It's against the paradigm we aimed with the current 3 view homescreen. You should place your wifes image to lock screen bg. Open gallery, open image and select set as background."

Q: "I was a very long iPhone user and now changed to Nokia N9 (my second nokia after 3210 a few years ago). I'm quite happy with the new phone, also the os is just great. nevertheless I'm missing some things:

- avatar: why we can set avatars for friends, but when they call us the photo is not showing up?
- Videocall, specially for Skype
- Whatsapp, nowadays an essential app which provides free messages on any devices
- world clock
- app for stocks etc (should be standard for a smartphone)

are those things considered for a future update? Or maybe already available (I'm still a newbie in regard of Nokia.. )"

A: "Hmm.. perhaps coming in 1.2. No comments on video call. whatsapp has replacements on platform already and we offer deeper integration. I would assume more services to be integrated soonish. Stocks apps to ovi store. Chinese edition has one by default though."

Q: "about the 'allow background connections' settings for both Mobile Network and Internet Connections (WIFI), is it possible to set different value for each of them, i.e. I want the option to be off when I am on Mobile Network but on when I am on Internet Connections (WIFI)."

A: "Good idea, but not going to happen. I too would love that."

Q: "Does any of the updates (1.1 or 1.2) contain any fixes to the onboard Facebook application? At it's current state it is pretty much unusable. Freezes, lags, has some major flaws (for example regarding fbook-messaging). I'm way happier with just touch.facebook.com, but that isn't integrated with the feeds -view."

A: "Facebook has tons of fixes in both 1.1 and 1.2. I'd say it's bearable in 1.1."

Q: "Here's a few things I'd like to see on my N9:

-Birthday notifications in calendar
Just like on S40 phones, were you could add day of birth and the calendar would know how old the person gets.

-When pressing some persons profile icon while in facebook chat, it will show "(unnamed)" on the profile, can't merge it with contacts.

- Ability to open/download documents via browser."

A: "I'm not sure if the birthday support is coming or not. I think it is, but not sure. Please raise to nokia care and raise the other issue as well. Documents will only be opened in the documents application, not inside browser, sorry (although, I like it that way, so I'm really not that sorry)."

Q: "- loudspeaker is very low, my n95 loudspeaker was much much better, any way to have a louder sound??

- if i want to send a phone number of a friend to another contact i can send the "contact card". Thats good, but on some phones people dont realize they received a contact card.Or we just want to insert the number inside an sms. Solution: it would be nice, if inside the contact (with no need to edit the contact) pressing on the number (or email or any contact info) we could just copy what we need.

- battery: i dont think i received a notification when battery is finishing. I'm wrong? I'm always suprised finding my phone closed.

Then i have a few questions:

- when the ovi suite/nokia suite will be compatible with n9 to synch the n9 online?
- i know that you told us that no numpad will be launched neither voice control, but its really a contradiction to have a so powerful phone with many functionnalities and not be able to write something correctly without being a woman

bugs:
- as i told you the activation with double tap doesnt work each time
- yesterday i was to the fitness, (my phone was in the cloakroom) when i finished i was happy to show my n9 to an iphone fan....but internet didnt work (facebook app and the browser)! I had to close the phone an re-open it and then it was ok....bad advertising
- yesterday i received an sms and i didnt received a notification
- facebook app is quiet long to open.

A: "yeah, sucks to have low loudspeaker. Buy one of these: http://www.engadget....o-pair-with-yo/ (just kidding, I truly also hate the low volume). N82 had great loudspeaker. If I recall correctly, higher volume was causing some bad resonance on the device and that's why it is like it is in n9. Universal copy paste is coming in 1.2. Battery notification was tuned for 1.1 and should come every 2 minutes while in call, every 5 minutes when display on and every 30 minutes when display off. Swype keyboard should help you in writing, as well as turnign device to landscape. And stil somebody should do numeric T9. Double tap was re-tuned a bit for 1.1. It's a bit more reliable again. Facebook starts faster in 1.1."

Last edited by slai; 2011-10-21 at 03:04.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post: