View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I don't think Maemo was ever touted to be more free/open source than Android, at least not by Nokia.
Search back... it was touted here as being more open than Android or some other ********.

Sure, there are plenty of fan boys on this forum that have said that. For me comparing the openness of the two is apples and oranges.
I thought so too at the time. Now, I wonder where all of that fanboyism has gone where the support has dried up. A lot of it, looking backwards, was just a knee-jerk reaction from this forum to support what they thought was the proper way forward.

Microsoft, via Stephen Elop, ended that quickly. But I'd rather state that the Nokia board, the folks that hired Elop, that allowed each and every Maemo device to inherit only one iteration of the Maemo OS for the most part (I know that's not 100% true including Hacker Editions and the N800/N810, but **** semantics for the moment) and in the end I just don't think the claims were justified then nor are they echoed as much now.

Simply put, it was ******** then, it's ******** now.

With Maemo, we're still waiting on the excellent work from the Fremantle Porting Task Force. Progress is slow but I think they will get there eventually, probably without all of the features and services that Maemo 5 originally shipped with.
Kudos to those guys.

Maemo for me, has never been completely about being open source...
Glad this has been said...

The draw towards Maemo is more about interoperability with existing Linux OSs: glibc, X11, the ease porting software, etc. In this sense of the word, it's way more open than Android.
We disagree here, but that's from an experience standpoint - which I have limited use nor experience in this to state otherwise. But this is an interesting point, one totally worth pondering.

Thanks for posting and giving me an alternate take. It's appreciated.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: