View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
I would wonder whether the chips envisioned for PYRA
have voice/SMS capability.
The last time I looked into it, they intended to use the same Gemalto baseband modems as will be used in the Neo900.

Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
If so,
It could indeed replace your phone, right out of the box.

I recognize it would be a bit kludgy,
but much easier than carting around a mini-itx
with a compatible USB modem and a dangling LCD screen.
Of course it could replace your phone to a certain extent. FSO or oFono provide full telephony stacks so that's not an issue, but it would be kludgy indeed. I'm not really sure that a comparison to carrying around a mini-ITX really constitutes as justification for the Pyra replacing your phone.

The point I was trying to make is that is not designed to be a phone. It's not really the optimal size for a phone. The microphone and speaker placement mean that you can't hold it like a phone to make calls. The clamshell design makes it awkward to answer calls efficiently. You could use a hands-free kit to work around these problems but that's not exactly ideal.

The software issues are a bit more of a concern. To leave the device in a state where it is ready to receive calls at all times will likely drain the battery very quickly. It's possible this issue may eventually be addressed but phone functionality is not a primary concern for the Pyra developers so don't expect this to be resolved any time soon.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-10-19 at 19:19. Reason: Added link to Extras clip :)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: