View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
What Sicelo said... and a good magnifying system, I like 15x for this size, and bright light I like both a white LED or two close up with some shrink rube on the sides bent to aim at your work area as well as a bright desk lamp with a circular tube on an adjustable arm mount. When I fixed several N900 USB ports I also tried scraping a bit extra so that the adhesion area for the solder blob would be larger. My experience is to suggest you tin both the connections on a new clean port(buy several spares for practice and in case you clog one with solder) and also tin the pads to clean and prep them, I like to clean up the old flux and gunk with clean ethanol or methanol alcohol with minimal water.
Then clamp the port to the board solder down the anchoring pads on both sides, then finally touch each leg with the iron or use a hot air gun, inspect your solder joints with microscope and bright light. In your case I suggest getting some magnet wire and attaching the one data jumper wire before you attach the port, then once it is attached and other pins test good attach the data port jumper. Dont forget to tin about 1mm on both ends of the magnet wire before you begin and then attach the jumpers to your USB ports.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: