View Single Post
Speednut, I do appreciate you're trying to help people and it's great that you're bringing their attention to a potentially serious bug.

However, I think you're going to panic casual users with the use of the enormous red lettering followed by huge amounts of very complex technical details that non-technical people won't understand.

This is meant to be a Newbie forum, for people who are new to the tablets. Looking at the instructions you've given, do you REALLY think those are simple enough for your "technophobe grandmother" to perform? Would technophobes really know how to install application package becomeroot?

X Terminal is not the kind of thing that most users would ever touch. Command line interfaces went out of the mainstream with MS-DOS. I doubt most tablet users even know the X Terminal app exists, or where to find it.

You do mention my easier GUI-based method, but it's buried away deeply in the technical text, I don't know how many people would actually notice that.

I personally don't trust a "File Manager" that only shows me a fraction of the file system, but krisse knows the N810 much better than I do.
I don't know the N810 better than you, I'm just asking why the file manager's format function wouldn't be enough.

If all it has to do is format the internal card, why wouldn't it work? Why do we have to use a command line at all? According to Thustle the GUI method does work, so why make it harder?

Why not just say: "There may be a problem with the internal card, format it in the file manager if you want to avoid this problem."

At the moment it looks like you need a course in programming just to format a memory card.

The reason the file manager only shows a fraction of the files is because the full system is very confusing and complicated. No modern user-friendly interface would ever show you the full file system of a computer by default.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-03-18 at 10:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: