View Single Post
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It's a fascinating idea, but the comparison somewhat misses the point of the Kindle's screen. Yes it is monochrome, but the reason it costs a fortune is because it uses an e-ink screen which is much easier to read than LCD displays.

Unless the new Maemo devices are as easy to read as e-ink, they won't really be competition for things like the Kindle.
Actually, the Maemo screen is vastly superior to the ultra low contrast ridiculously priced e-ink screens. I've read hundreds of full length ebook novels on various devices from a US Robotics Pilot and Rocket eBook to my current N810, and have never been tempted by the e-ink devices. Even the dinosaur Rocket eBook reader has a much better display quality than the e-ink screens. The only good thing about the e-ink devices is the low power requirements. The contrast on these devices is poor, the text font is pixellated, and you have to have a light on to read it due to no back lighting (or sony's ineffective crappy side lighting). Crazy thing is you can currently get a N810 on Amazon right now for less than a kindle! N810 fits perfectly in my pocket and is with me everywhere allowing spontaneous ebook reading whereas that's impossible to do with the kindle and would frequently get left behind.

Now if FBreader would only add proper support for CSS rendering and add bookmarking, it would be the greatest ebook reader of all.

The Following User Says Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post: