View Single Post
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I think "with vlc2 use vlc-1.1 or newer=false" is funny.
Indeed since the new telnet interface works like the old one.

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I'm trying to watch videos with very lousy laptop, without flash (namely OLPC, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification). I have powerful server and fast (local) network. With powerful client I have tested that server has not any problems.

Out of the box (client side) theora is only profile, which is handled. Video streaming works with (default) Theora-profile when resolution is dropped to the 240x160px (which is almost a joke). 480x320px is lagging too much.

What should I try next? I see profile has many parameters to tune, but I have no idea which makes video lighter to play.
There's not much you can do I guess. Lowering bitrate will help some, but makes the quality worse of course.

Now that VLC can transcode h264 to Flash plugin, N900 profile should work nicely with a Flash enabled browser if you copy paste mux from browser-profile. External subtitle support seems broken now though.

Do you use the stock os? Does it have any video players? Maybe something that can do DLNA? You could then use something like Mediatomb with transcoding instead of Knots.