View Single Post
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
1) Restructure the forums so that it is possible to read 'by platform/OS'
(example: right now the 'Applications' forum doesn't have any device-subforum which makes it often very confusing if a discussed app is for Diabo, Fremantle, etc) - and for people who is just interested in say OS2008 it is hard to filter out the other posts.
SOME kind of filtering mechanism is needing, I think. I think the patience of pre-N900 owners is being overtaxed here. There was a lot of discussion about exactly what kind here.

BTW, I certainly hope the MeeGo folks find some way to deal with this problem. From day one, they could have people reading their site interested in the NetBook UX or the Handheld UX or the base MeeGo or base MeeGo on the N900 or base MeeGo on the N810 or MeeGo in my BMW. Going forward, if MeeGo gets on as many devices as they'd like, cutting through the noise to find what is relevant to you will only get worse.

6) Retire the Karma system
People are 'thanking' way too much because they like the person or agree with the positive/negative spirit of a post - not because the post is particularly useful.
Or split the "Thanks" button into "Like" and "Useful". Allow the ability to search based on usefulness.

7) Implement 'thumbs-down' for posts
Implement a way to rate a post 'thumbs-down' and an option to read the forum 'community-moderated' where posts with X thumbs-down would be auto-suppressed.
Is the goal here to deal with trolls or improve moderation or something? Because this could be used far beyond those purposes. I worry that a 'thumbs-down' could breed ill will among community members. I agree with Facebook -- "Like" needs no explanation, but if you dislike something you should explain why.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post: