View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
But is it really a good offer? As I understand it, the only software I can run on Solu is the software provided by Solu: I'm not going to have access to any of the programs I've already spent time and effort learning how to use. All the data I can run on Solu will be hosted by Solu: I'm not entirely certain I want my personal photo collection somewhere in the cloud, or my sensitive business documents, regardless of how seriously Solu takes security. The only processor hardware I can use is provided by Solu: All my existing PCs, phones, and tablets are completely unusable in the Solu world.
Unless both the OS and backend code is fully open source this basically screams single point of failure on all levels (os, applications, hardware and backend) - which is actually quite an achievement.

It would be quite different if the code is available though: The community would be able to independently add support for other hardware (even if the main developers don't want to be bothered by that), it would be possible to run your own backend if every something happens to the default one, people could contribute back fixes and improvements, it would be possibly to actually check if the platform really is secure and not just claimed to be secure, etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: