View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Oh sorry, that was not my intention. Although you kinda prove your own point sometimes it is not required to understand everything written in post.

I'll clarify by first quote and then provide clarification. The relevant parts I'll put in red.

[quote]
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If the VM and VM image is good enough, which partly depends on hardware, you won't give a damn about it not being native. AS/400, Solaris Containers/Zones, Xen, VMware Workstation, Parallels (for Mac), Rosetta prove this to be true. The latter 3 even allow one to run the application under a VM without a full desktop, including support for theming. It is same with running x86-32 applications on x86-64. With recent Intel and AMD processors utilizing HVM on host OS you get almost 100% performance in a x86-64 or x86-32 guest OS although I/O is one area which traditionally lacks which is a reason Xen requires modification in guest OS. With Xen, you can get even more than 100% performance.
This part of the post explains why running a virtual machine (VM) to run a SDK is not necessarily a Bad Thing and states several examples of good virtual machines. It also explains running a virtual machine with good performance (near 100%; near native) is possible.

You also may have to enable HVM in your BIOS (!!!). So, IMO, you need specific arguments. For example, why Eclipse doesn't cut it for you. Keep in mind that when you use the SDK you are also using a VM: QEMU. Enabling HVM will improve the performance for QEMU as well.
Explains some performance complaints are related to BIOS setting. HVM explained on Wikipedia. On Intel the BIOS setting is called Intel VT, on AMD it is called AMD-V. Here is a list of HVM compatible notebooks.

@ lcuk, you could use NFS as well, having all the native ARM stuff on a dedicated server. Or use sbrsh(d). Seriously, sbrsh(d) is exactly made for this, and I'm pretty damn sure its how Nokia uses it internally. Yes, over rsh, not ssh. For performance reasons (SSH is overhead, especially on embedded environments, and NFS is lightweight as well; both are tried and true on *NIX, but can be made to run on Windows as well).
This provides alternative for running code native or hosting code on machine native. It was directed to lcuk, and is general statement.

Also, developers need to have some kind of *NIX knowledge. It really helps a lot when developing just like being able to program is useful as UNIX admin. Sometimes, the command line is just faster than GUI, and sometimes programming it yourself is faster than using a script engine.

It is a pre, much like knowing *NIX helps you find your way in Maemo. I do understand the reasons for providing the choice of not requiring this knowledge though,
Explains background knowledge for requested feature is useful, provides flexibility, while admitting requires resources and dependency on such should be optionally not a requirement.

but Qt is targeted for Maemo 6. It does not surprise me there is no good Qt IDE for Maemo 6 for Windows yet given there is also no official support for Qt on Maemo either.
Explains reason lack of requested feature, explains right now is not issue yet.

c't 2010/10 contains good introduction for programming with Qt with Qt Creator. Yes, the howto is platform agnostic. I thought there was also an in depth tutorial for automating & aiding scripting which is useful too but I can't find the article.
Provides a solution and starting point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: