View Single Post
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Hi, I have some problems with BM. A few days ago the filesystem of my optfs broke and I have some "Stale NFS Handler"-files again. I know that there is absolutely no way to get rid of them except of reformatting the partition. But that's not the point.
Making a backup still works despite of the broken files which are presented as an error in backup menu. Last time the counter went up to 28 errors but after finishing the backup BM said that everything finished successfully. But there WERE errors!

So I have two suggestions:
  1. create a logfile with output of tar (maybe use option -v too) right next to backupfile so one can afterwards see what tar did and where it failed
  2. display some corrected message after finishing backup. reading a message like "everything is fine" after having seen a bunch of errors is not fun at all.

In case you use the output of tar for displaying status message you could use 'tee' which redirects input to stdout and a file simultaneously.

And another question as I couldn' find a definitive answer yet: when restoring a backup, is the filesystem reformatted or are the files getting deleted (using v1.10)?

The Following User Says Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post: