View Single Post
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rheve View Post
But what I know is that if you allow developers to put what ever they want in the category section, you end up with current situation.
That's why we need good guidelines to tell developers and packages what categories they should use.

I don't know in details how it works, what I know is that if I turn "red pill" mode on, I find a lot more packages available for installation.
Because one of Red Pill's features is showing everything outside of User/—everything that the user doesn't need to see with proper package management.

Works only in "red" mode. Then why is it listed??
Like I said, there are a lot of variables that go into preventing a package in User/ from being installable, some of these stem the repository mess (while I don't disagree with the previous poster about multiple repositories being useful sometimes, it really should be limited to Extras, Extras-devel and the official repos for the sake of the new user's sanity), some stem from bad packaging and some stem from broken local installs, so determining whether something is "Red Pill" or not isn't entirely straightforward.