View Single Post
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by luca View Post
So, there is still no android (read:cheap) tablet where you can wipe android and install a real Linux+KDE instead?
Yes, I've thought of that. Every once in a while I do another search. It seems the general problem is the closed nature of graphics accellerator chips. Chip manufacturers don't share and the end result is a device with no accelleration. Same seems to go for a few other hardware bits as well. It's a problem for people making custom Android versions too... unless they can re-use existing binary blobs, they lose capability. The Neo900 people are planning on using binary-compatible chips so they can keep using the existing binary blobs in Fremantle for this reason.

Then again, the new Android devices are so much more powerful than the N810 that I'd probably not notice the lack of HW accelleration. I'm still thinking about it... After this N810 resurection project is done, I'll probably do another search... see if I can find a cheap tablet with a HW keyboard (not that many devices around) with a decent community of people hacking something Debian-like onto it.

I'd love some kind of dual-boot device, Daily-use Linux and the option of running Android if I really had to use some specific Android app. It's not that easy though... even the N810 is not particularly finger-friendly, but it works very well with it's stylus. A fancy new capacitive multi-touch screen won't have the same touch-resolution, which means the OS needs to be something like (shudder) Unity, and that means I need graphics accelleration... sigh.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. If anyone knows something I've missed, let me know,

David...

Last edited by fixerdave; 2013-10-05 at 03:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post: