View Single Post
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Of course there is native code - I'm 100% sure there is no CPU that executes Javascript & HTML5 on the metal.
All the stuff that renders HTML5, runs the Javascript interpreter, exports APIs, the telephony framework and the whole sandbox management is definitely not written in either Javascript or HTML5.
What I mean there is no native code exposed for user/developer by design. Similar to how Inferno OS for example is designed. Surely, underneath the VM takes advantage of native instructions. So in such kind of systems - you are forced out of the native code. In hybrid systems (like Tizen and most other ones which have native APIs exposed together with various VMs) you have a choice. It's a tradeoff. "Stability" for "performance" or vice versa.

Theoretical base under pure virtualized systems is that if hardware performance will skyrocket, VM overhead will be negligible. In practice however it didn't happen in every case, let alone in the mobile sphere where hardware is still very limited. So I have mixed feelings about such systems yet. If on desktop/server virtualization and abstraction of execution can be ignored (not even there sometimes), on the mobile device where processing power and battery life are very limited - it can't compete with native code yet. (It doesn't mean it has no uses still).

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-29 at 21:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: