View Single Post
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

What problem are you willing to solve by "handling Maemo trademark to community"? I'm not a legal expert but I guess a trademark needs to be own by a legal entity, being an individual or a constituted organization. As for today "the community" is none of that. You can hint again to the need of creating a legal entity, but still it would be good to know first the problem you want to solve.

If maemo.org wants to increase its scope beyond the Maemo OS I don't see why it can't.
Issue is exactly what You've described here - using "Maemo" as term for Community around mobile, Linux based, FOSS as much as it can be etc. devices and software.

If You're saying (wearing Nokia shirt) that Nokia doesn't have anything against usage of Maemo name (being Nokia's trademarks) for things not related to Nokia products, it's fine, and answers my question.

Ho ever, are You 100% sure that - lets theorize/dream for a while - Maemo Community "splits out" FOSS (hardware and software) device, that becomes real competitor for any future Nokia's device (as I said, purely hypothetical situation), Nokia won't have anything against usage of terms like "powered by Maemo Community" when "advertising" competing device, etc? To be honest,m it's hardly imaginable for me. On the other hand, I can pretty easily imagine Cease & Desist letters

If - which I really doubt - the above is true and guaranteed (no problem for usage of Maemo name for future FOSS projects, like Vivaldi, but on bigger scale), then I'll agree than there is no other problem - for now - with trademarks, and EULA/OBS thing is only one we need to worry about.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: