View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Temporary mirrors are present and the repos are down because of traffic and firewall issues... Its not down because they are disappearing
Keyword: temporary

It'll never be "official" again in the future, or sanctioned and continually developed and updated by Nokia. That's a blessing and a curse in itself.

It tethers the new purchase to this forum, wherein there's no guarantee this place will be here in the near future since it's now privately funded. And it also means no further updates unless somebody takes the initiative and stuff like Skype, an integral part of the N900 experience, might have some problems in the very near future if Microsoft continues down the path they're going to replace their Live messaging with Skype and integrating the two logins. To my knowledge, that's not been implemented on the N900.

I bring these things up not for the savvy users, most of us should be fine. But with the prices dropping on the N900, I shudder to think that a nice N900 will fall into the hands of somebody that thinks it'll be the messaging Mecca of all smartphones and everything should "just work" and they'll have access to every app that their iPhone and Android owning peers have access to.

So informing buyers should be the first case. It's not all peaches and perfect right now around the N900 nor this forum/repositories. But it's not all bad either.

That's my take. Educating people should be the first prerogative of this place and the members.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: